Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I just use the nav in the Jensen 215 and put nothing on the dash (so far haven't installed a TPMS, HUD, radar detector, etc.).

I will usually study the route we're going to take in the morning before hitting the road. Taking note of any spots that look troublesome. After spending 15-20 minutes doing that the Nav system is just a backup--In addition I often study the route in the days leading up to the trip as well. We've learned not to rely on them too much after an incident in PA where the GPS didn't have all the maps loaded and took us through some interesting roads when the interstate was about 5 miles away (but off the loaded maps). (Yes this was a while ago when GPS units didn't have enough memory to contain the entire US map.)
I stopped using my Garmin (inexpensive model received as a gift) soon after it kept trying to make me turn into home driveways on back way into Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, Texas. I was taking a shortcut and the GPS failed miserably.

I'd much rather have less of just about anything as long as I can count on it being reliable. I hate things that don't work right nearly 100% of time. So far Google maps has worked very well for us and it's more convenient.

I wonder if there is a way to mirror an iPad or iPhone display on a larger screen mounted near driver? That is, without using two iPads. It would be nice if my wife could operate and navigate while I could see details at same time. If built into dash it would be better still.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum