Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
lspotho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Hello,

I guess I cheat a little.

When I back into my site (all have been gravel so far) I stop about 2 feet short of where I want to end up and I get out with my 2 ft level. I go to the corner that looks the lowest (usually the rear) and put the level on the bumper. I then raise the level to what looks like level, I guestimate the rise off the bumper for left to right side multiply by four (half the axle width since I am using a 2 ft level) and then - using my trusty entrenching tool and rake build a ramp out of the gravel present. I then open one of the storage bays on the side raise the level, I guestimate the rise and multiply by 7.5 (roughly 1/2 the wheel base in feet since I'm measuring the rise with a 2 ft level). I then subtact the earlier number of the left to right from that number from front to back and rake/shovel that much more gravel behind the rear. The most I have had to add is 4 inches on the low corner (I did cheat by digging out under the highest corner to lower it to level across the front). As long as the water drains out of the shower drain and the fridge does not close by itself...I declair the docking procedures a success.

When I leave the campsite I rake things back (more or less) to what was there originally. As being only a 20 month RV'er I do not know if this is acceptible behavior, but I have not been called in on the carpet...yet. While I was enlisted (Spc-5) in the Army, I learned it is easier to offer an apology than to get permission.

Doc
Wow - impressive math, engineering, and construction! Seriously...

To get to the heart of my question - if you had to raise one or both rear sides, and you had dualies, I am guessing you would build up the gravel under both tires on a side, not just one tire?

I leveled my RV when it was parked in front of my house recently, and only supported the outside rear tire. And looking at that, I said to myself "that doesn't look good." Which is what raised my question - and I have decided to always level both dualies - assuming the slope requires it.

Thanks for the response!
Dan

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.