Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Freedom Elite
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #13
samven

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
The hardest part of adding a second battery is finding the right colored cables. There should be room in your battery tray for a second battery. In many of the smaller units I looked at and mine the tray was under the entry step. There was enough room for 2 group 27 batteries but I dont think 2 group 29's would fit. If you have a 27 and you probably do, you can fit another beside it and using battery cables from Walmart or auto parts store, connect +(positive) to + and -(negative) to -. If you have deep cycle batteries they will have the multi terminal. A standard battery post and a screw post on both sides. Get cables that have the standard clamp on one end and the eye or ring connector on the other end. It can be difficult to find a red cable in just the right length you need for the + side so just buy the black and a roll of red electrical tape. Then wrap a few inches of red tape at each end of the one you are going to use for the + side. You dont want to connect them wrong. The biggest caution I can give is to be really sure that the positive terminal never contacts the frame as you are putting the battery in. The trays are just deep enough for the battery and as you are tilting it in the terminals come very close to the edge. I always tape cardboard over the + terminals because if the + and - should hit the frame at the same time the battery could weld itself there and you will not be able to pull it off. As for mixing old and new. It is generally not recommended because the weaker battery will draw down the stronger but if you get the battery store to do a test with one of the new meters that measure internal battery impedance and your old one is close to the new one you will be fine. Its best if you can get the same brand but at least get the same size and amp hr rating.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum