Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
have the mini split systems been considered for RV applications.
I believe it comes down to initial cost, which is why RVs are relatively inefficient. There are small split systems for semi trucks, and basement A/Cs for luxury buses, but I haven't seen either on "regular" motorhomes.

Mini split units are much more efficient than RV A/Cs, but as I recall they cost a lot more. For their capacity (I helped a friend install a 12,000 BTU/hr unit) they are much larger and heavier than RV A/Cs. They gain higher efficiency partly by using larger heat exchangers (evaporator and condenser). Some use inverter technology (to vary speed and hence capacity) which makes them even more efficient.

What's interesting to me is that these new high-efficiency roof-mounted RV A/Cs still appear much less efficient than residential air conditioners. If you divide capacity by watts used, they are barely over an Energy Efficiency Ratio of 10 (although I'm not sure if they use same rating system). Residential A/Cs are easily in the 16 range, with a few exceeding 20. There is still room for improvement, although for RVs a major problem is that making them more efficient may also make them larger which adds to wind drag and height clearance.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.