Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My 2 cents .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buppa View Post
Your right on the diesel generator which I think I want. What are your thoughts on 3.2 generator running a 15k AC?

Like you I'd also prefer the diesel generator over the propane because refilling fuel supply is so much easier. Unfortunately the diesel generator puts out a little less power.

Regarding A/C choice, Onan makes reference in the 3,200-Watt diesel generator specifications (see attachment below) to it being able to run a 13,500 BTU/hr A/C with some reasonable excess power, but it's not enough to run an average microwave, many coffee makers, or high-capacity hair dryer. If Thor installed a larger A/C and owners had to turn it off every time they wanted to run an appliance, I'd guess they may get complaints.

All A/Cs are not the same efficiency, and the best I'm aware of in the 15,000 size range pulls just over 13 Amps (1,400 watts) under standard conditions, but it goes much higher in desert conditions -- closer to 16 Amps. The generator is rated at 26+ Amps but must be derated for elevation and high temperature extremes.

I'd have to guess that Onan and Thor engineers size these units so they can operate under the worse conditions to prevent problems. Even so, owners report problems occassionally so they must not be playing it way too safe.

As to heat pumps, I'm not a fan of them unless you are a full timer and pay for your electric power bill directly. If at a campground I'd use electric heat, and if off the grid I'd use propane for heat. For me a heat pump wouldn't accomplish enough to make it worth the cost or added complexity. Having said that, it's a much more efficient technology for heating in mild weather using electricity, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	3922  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.