Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Onan generators are rated for operation up to 120deg F. Summertime temps in Arizona can get pretty close to 120Deg.

With ambient temperatures that high, it does not give you much of a temperature safety margin, and when you add the generator's own heat source, heat reflecting off the pavement or ground, it is conceivable that you are exceeding the operating parameters of the generator... which I suppose is obvious since they are shutting down.

Whether shutting down is due to poor placement of the generator or simply the heat of the day, I am not sure. Certainly, the generator's 120Deg F operating limit can be a factor.

The only thing I saw in the Onan install guide was a set of design parameters as to where to place the generator, how far it should be from other objects, and minimum air flow.

Whether or not Thor heeded those guidelines is also a consideration. If they did (and I am not saying they did nor not) then Onan is probably more at fault.

However, if there seems to be more failures in a particular model, then there may be something wrong with the generator's location. But if generators are overheating in more temperate areas of the country then OK, maybe there is more to it than the ambient temperature simply being too hot.

Has anyone tried installing fans adjacent to the generator to get more air flow? That might cool the area enough to operate the generator.

Also, has anyone used one of those infrared thermometers (such as a Fluke 62) to see where the hot spots are on the chassis? That might tell you if the problem is from a poor location or not. These thermometers are not that expensive. The Fluke is under $100, but you can buy a cheap one for $25.

The way I see it, anything you can do to help diagnose the problem will help solve it.

Of course, an area under consideration might not be a hot spot until you put a generator in that location - especially if there is restricted air flow when doing so.

Commercial generators usually have a higher temperature rating (often over 150 Deg F) than the Onan RV generators. I still see 120Deg F as borderline for summertime conditions in the hot areas of the US.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum