Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #16
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktodean View Post
I DID like the fact the frame went full length. Oops on my keyboard
Not to get too technical, but I find these newer chassis very interesting.

If you look at Ford specs, all Transit cutaways are shipped with frames extending 45 inches behind rear wheels. Most motorhomes will have an extension bolted on from that point back -- probably 2 to 3 feet long depending on motorhome length and selected wheelbase.

These Transit chassis are highly engineered, as are Sprinters and ProMasters. As far as I can tell, these chassis manufacturers provide splice points at the very rear for extending the main chassis rails. The metal is relatively thin and high strength, so you don't want anyone cutting and welding on them to stretch the wheelbase. To me that's a good restriction.

The result should be a lighter motorhome with a lower floor; both which contribute to fuel economy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	3978  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum