Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut.....

In addition, I would bet that the early cars with 48V systems will also have a 12V system to be backwards compatible with a bunch of existing parts (note that just about every electric vehicle also has a 12V system to go along with the high-voltage traction system).

A lot of traditional vehicles have been moving to an electrical A/C system simply to save a few mpg: (When the gas engine is running 2500 rpm going down the highway but the inside of the car is already at temp there is no reason to run the A/C compressor that fast--an independent electrically run A/C solves that issue.) I believe that a bunch of Ford's use an electric A/C (Focus, Escape, C-Max, Fusion, and their Lincoln equivalents). I wonder if the OEM's would build a slightly larger A/C for the stripped chassis units knowing that there will be a "big box" mounted on them (and also allow for control independent of the ignition switch).

......cut.....
That's a safe bet. Information I've seen shows manufacturers will use a DC to DC converter to step down from 48 to 12 Volts for the few items that need lower voltage.

However manufacturers implement 48-Volt A/C, I'm just looking forward to the day when a Class B can just run the factory A/C using the factory-provided condenser, evaporator, fans, etc... We will just need to keep 48-Volt battery charged. Should be quieter, with no condensation drain issues, etc...

There are 48-Volt A/Cs now, but cost is prohibitive. Once compressors are mass produced, it should be easy to adapt them for additional RV cooling capacity if needed.

As I stated before, I'm fairly certain 12-Volt RV electrical will convert to 48-Volts; it's just a matter of a little time.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.