Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger716 View Post
I can't find anything online about this, so I thought I would ask here. I'll be getting a Jeep Wrangler soon and was wondering if a base plate can be installed into a front hitch?

My 2 cents ....

If you are talking about a standard 2" receiver hitch at center of Jeep, from an engineering perspective, I personally wouldn't even attempt it.

It would be easy enough to fabricate a large bracket that would allow you to connect the tow bar to the Jeep's front receiver, but the stresses on receiver would be so high I would never trust it. Safety is too important -- it's not worth it.

I don't know if anyone makes such an item, but if they did I'd personally pass on it.

A tow bar is attached at two points a significant distance apart so it can transmit a lot of lateral force to turn the vehicle side to side. A common front receiver, while rigid in that direction, isn't designed to take that kind of load.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.