Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 AM   #3
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
Hello everyone. A newbie here. I guess not even a newbie yet because I am still looking. Currently, I have a 30 ft trailer and use a VW to tow. I have camped extensively in Michigan but I wanted to get a motor-home to extend my camping range. Gotta get that quality time in with my daughter before she goes off to college. I am looking to buy either used 2015 Axis 24.1 or new 2017 Axis 24.1 I am leaning toward the used one mainly for price. But if E450 chassis of 2017 is smoother riding than E350 of 2015, I might pull the trigger on the new one. Was looking into Sprinter based units but just can't afford it yet.
Personally, I think the E450 and corresponding upgraded transmission would be worth the extra money. You might even find a used 2016 that would have it. Your comment about the Sprinter chassis sounded like my initial thoughts when looking. I was dead set on the Mercedes because of the diesel power. We test drove the Winnebago View on the Sprinter and were very impressed with the 15 mpg. Problem was that I didn't like the ride, didn't like the wind buffering noise that was probably caused by the overhead sleeper set up. That, along with the fact that it was our first RV and the $30-40k extra cost steered us to test drive the 24.1 Axis. The ride was considerably smoother and the price was a bit easier on our decision. One year later, still pretty happy with the decision on buying the 24.1. By the way, my local RV service shop sells a complete suspension kit for the Sprinter to make it ride better. Even though I have had a Saf-T-Plus installed on the 24.1, for the price of the Winnebago View, I would have been very ticked off to have the suspension rebuilt on top of the cost of buying it. Good luck.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum