Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowJumper View Post

.....cut....

I know the Axis/Vegas are smaller and on the E-450 chassis versus the other gas coaches on the F-53 but it seems cost is not really a factor between these models. ...cut....
I think most people would be surprised to know that Ford list the E-450 as more expensive than the entry-level F53 -- at least as they list it on Ford's website.

The E-Series chassis is more sophisticated and therefore probably more expensive to manufacture. No doubt the F53 is stronger and designed for heavier loads, but that in itself doesn't add much cost. A few hundred pounds of steel go a long ways towards making chassis rails longer. As you get bigger with F53, I expect price to go up rapidly and surpass the E-450. Bigger axles, switch from 19.5 to 22.5 tires, aluminum rims, etc. probably adds cost.

You are right though that adding size doesn't add much cost, which is probably why there are so many large motorhomes. In fact, when you go down to Class Bs (van campers) you can often expect to pay more than the cost of much larger Class As and Cs.

My personal preference would be for a small Class A (Euro style) not much larger than the largest Class Bs (just wider), but there isn't enough demand for such a motorhome in the US because of the pricing issue you raised. Plus our really cheap gasoline makes large MHs viable.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum