Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Rear AC
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Chance-As I understand it, the generator is different from shore power because it only produces 115-Volts and with only one leg. This means that in order for all coach electrical to get power from generator, both legs in electrical panel have to be connected together.

Is it possible that the generator has two 120 V outputs (two circuit breakers)? Could they each be referenced to the same ground, so there is 0 volts between the two outputs and 120 volts between the neutral and each output (hot). But that would mean that the neutral would be carrying double the amperage when both AC units are running.
It'd be great if we had a wiring schematic to see exactly why there are two breakers at generator, and how/why the front A/C was working while the rear one wouldn't. I suppose each breaker could protect a separate leg of the 50-Amp service, but without more information we are just guessing.

As to excessive amperage when both A/Cs are running, I don't think that would necessarily be a problem because the motorhomes wiring is sized for 50 Amps, and a 5,500-Watt generator is rated just below that. Therefore, it seems on the surface that even if all generator power went through one leg, and the neutral, it should still be within the wiring's current capacity. Again, without a drawing this is just a lot of educated guessing.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.