Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #9
tmikea

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
Thanks JamieGeek for pointing me to forscan. Looking at it's website, it looks like it's kind of an "opensource" application and references the ODBII devices that it works with.

I had sent an email to support at scangauge.com a week or so ago….and they just replied to me that there is an XGauge code that MAY read the OLM. The XGauge code is:

Engine Oil Life (%)
TXD: 07E022054B
RXF: 04620505064B
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000100010000
NAME: EOL

XGauge codes add additional functionality to the scangaugeii unit that ScanGauge sells. I just purchased one at AutoZone.com because (1) they had a promo code and (2) a 3 year AutoZone warranty with no additional cost. With the promo cost was $135. Amazon and CampingWorld were $159 and the three year warranty was a $20 or so additional charge.

The reason I think I will like the scangaugeii better that forscan and an OBDII WiFi or Bluetooth device is the the scangaugeii comes with a display that you can Velcro to your dash. No need for a PC, iPhone, or android as your display device...so you can much more easily, constantly monitor the “always on” scangaugeii display.

I went out to the Gemini this afternoon and added Power Service's "Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost" since the weather is going to be below freezing for couple days this week This product keeps diesel fuel from gelling amongst other things. As a side question, anyone used this product and have an opinion about it?

As luck would have it, after adding the additive, I started the engine and moved the RV a bit to "stir up the additive with the diesel fuel....and noticed that the "change engine oil" message came up on the Transit display. 4162 miles on the RV. I've been very gentle with the RV and drive around 60MPH on the interstate. Unit had 645 miles on it when I bought it...and about 16 idle hours. It has 19 idle hours now. I guess I was expecting a lot more miles before needing an oil change. Perhaps the RV itself....hauling it around on the Transit chassis is equivalent to pulling a heavy load…perhaps 4000 miles between oil changes will be the norm. Guess time will tell.

The scangagueii should arrive on the 16th so I'll check it out and see if it can read the OLM. I'll check it before changing the oil. I plan to change the oil myself and will reset the OLM via Transit owner’s manual then check the scangaugeii OLM display to see if it indeed changes as expected.

Also, regarding talktodean's question:
Transit display says overall I'm getting 16.6MPG. My spreadsheet that I update with every fuel purchase says overall is 16.526. I'm VERY happy with the MPG. My 05 Tundra doublecab only gets 12 or 13 overall!

Love the maneuverability of the small RV. There are lots of places you can take this unit that a big class C or A could never go. I don't see a reason to pull a TOAD. If I'm at a location and need to, I'll UBER or rent a car for a couple days. I also don’t like the idea of pulling a TOAD with this small RV…concerned that it would overly stress the chassis, engine, and transmission.

Never owning a big “C” or “A”, to me the Gemini is like driving a big van….driving is comfortable (my opinion) and visibility with the rear camera and the big mirrors is very good. I need to figure out how to silence the window shades…they do make some noise. Guess they need to be all up when driving…maybe that will help.

Suggest you look at some of my other “tmikea” posts regarding Gemini issues I’ve seen. You might also search the overall forum for same.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum