Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
VictoriaEP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #6754
How do I jump the starting battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by up4306 View Post
Hello,
I am trying to get my mind around how the radio works in regards to it's power source. I believe the radio is responsible for a dead chassis battery on multiple occasions.
Here is what has happened the last time around with the dead chassis battery.
The Axis was in for service Friday. On the ride home the house power switch was in the on position. The Axis was in for a new driver side mirror as the camera stopped working. The radio was switched on so I could see that the new mirror solved the camera issue. It did. When I arrive home and before I turned off the motor I plugged in the the Axis into a 30 amp outlet. I also plugged in a ceramic heater to keep things from freezing.
After a few minutes I shut down the engine. As I prepared to leave and lock up the Axis I noticed the radio was still on. I pushed the button to turn the radio off but it did not go off. I thought that because the radio was being powered from the shore hook up/house batteries I thought nothing of it and locked up the Axis.
This morning I went into the Axis just to check on things and noticed that there was small blue light on the radio flashing. I tried to start the Axis only to find the battery dead. This is the 3rd time this has happened. Each time the Axis has been connected to shore power.
In this case the ceramic heater was still working just fine.
So, I hooked up the chassis battery to a battery charger for 30 minutes and was able to start the Axis engine. With the engine running for a few minutes I noticed that the radio was off.
My question is, is the radio powered from the chassis or house batteries?
My confusion comes from the fact that you have to have the house battery switch on to get the radio to work but turn signal activation brings up the camera view on the radio screen. I was under the impression that the dash controls were chassis battery powered with the exception of the radio. If the turn signal lever can activate the radio screen does this mean that chassis battery power from the turn signal lever links chassis battery power to the radio?
I am trying to narrow down where the drain on the chase battery is coming from. I suspect the radio but am not sure.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time, too!
David
Hi all, I just had the same thing happen with my 2016 Vegas. The radio would not shut off (for a couple of weeks), but was not draining my battery so I figured I'd get it fixed later. When I pulled into a campground last week, the media unit flashed for awhile and then totally died, and now my battery is dead. I cannot start it using the emergency start on the dashboard. I have been plugged into shore power - I'm in a campground. I found on another forum thread that the battery is under the passenger desk. Before I try to take that out (not at all mechanically inclined), can anyone tell me whether it's possible to jump the battery using a portable power pack with the battery in place? Sure hope I can because neither Good Sam road service nor I have had any luck finding a mobile mechanic, though the park rangers gave me some numbers to try tomorrow.
Thanks!
Victoria

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.