Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Inverter
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
groswald

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Eric,

FW28z makes a good point. I missed the bit about boondocking. For that you will need some additional battery capacity at a minimum.

I'm looking to do a pretty minimal system. I want enough 110 juice to let the refrigerator run on battery while traveling so we don't have to leave the LP on. My wife takes med's that must be kept cool, so the refer has to run 24x7. I'd also like to be able to run the microwave for a minute or two while stopped to warm up lunch and whatnot.

I think the two size 27 coach batteries I have should do be OK for that. They are Harris 160 AH. Not great, but should work. If I remember correctly the E350 chassis has a 150 amp alternator which should be up to the job of keeping all the batteries up and the refer running while moving.

The system I'm think of is a Xantrex 1500 watt inverter. It also requires a transfer switch, huge fuse, some really big cables from the batteries to the inverter, and a remote on/off switch. I estimate the parts cost to be about $350 (USD) if ordered online. I'll do the work myself, so no labor charges.

I'll probably power 3 outlets. The refrigerator, the microwave, and the one on the end of the counter. The transfer switch auto-detects shore/generator power and switches accordingly so I don't have to worry about an outlet being powered from the inverter and shore power at the same time.

Randy

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.