Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Inverter
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Xantrex makes some great equipment. I had one in one of the previous boats I owned. If you buy one with a charger, you could probably go to AGM batteries at some point as I think most of their chargers are AGM compatible. And it would probably simplify making sure your charger is off when the inverter is running.

My family just bought 20 acres of rural property a couple of months ago that I will have access to with the RV next year, but I will have boondock as there is no power. So I am looking at running on my house batteries + propane for the fridge, oven, heater, lights, water pump, etc. I won't need an inverter, but I'll need some method of recharging the batteries.

Of course I could run the RV's genny, or even my Honda EU2000, but it's in the woods (nature), so I don't want to have the racket of a running genny, although the Honda is pretty quiet. So, I am thinking of buying a suitcase solar system:

http://www.renogy-store.com/100W-Por...t-stcs100d.htm

100 watts is not a lot, but hopefully it will be enough to charge the batteries each day with the small loads I anticipate having.

One thing I need to consider is reducing the load, and I think one issue with Thor coaches is the contactor that connects the batteries. That has to take a few Amp-Hours to keep closed. Why Thor didn't just put in a marine-type manual ON/OFF switch that takes no juice rather than a contactor that requires power to run off the batteries seems kind of dumb to me.

So I may have to retrofit the coach and get rid of the contactor.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum