Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Inverter
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
pocowok

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocowok View Post
I just completed installation of a Xantrex Pro Watts 2000 pure sine wave inverter and a Blue Sky 200W solar panel project in my 2015 Thor Citation 24SR. The inverter definitely has its place for couple applications: on board entertainment - watch TV, in-motion SAT and quick microwave food warming. Another good use of the inverter is to power the refrigerator (in 110v mode) especially when engine is charging the house batteries. You can not use the inverter for prolonged heavy load such as electric water heater and air condition...

A proper inverter wiring is the key to maximize the limited battery capacity. Here is a short description of my installation:
1. In my Thor Citation 24SR, it come with a transfer switch for shore power and generator.
2. I added a second transfer switch for switching between the inverter and output of first transfer switch. Move the line output of first transfer switch (shore power and generator) from MAIN 110v circuit panel and wired it to the "GEN" input side of the second transfer switch. Wire the inverter (see step 5) to the "Shore Power" side. This way, the output of first transfer switch has higher priority should either one of the shore power or generator power is active.
3. Connect the output of the second transfer switch to "MAIN" input of 110v circuit breaker.
4. Disconnect the onboard converter from the 110v branch circuit and move "both" LINE and Neutral wire to the output of first transfer switch via a 15amp single breaker or a dedicated GFI circuit. This will prevent the converter/inverter short circuit loop.
5. Install a 30amp line cord (10/2) from Xantrex to the second transfer switch's shore power input.
6. Connect 12v battery to Xantrex using 00 (2R) gauge battery cables. Make sure the Xantrex is located as close to the house batteries as possible to minimize the voltage drop in the cables. I mount the inverter within 2 feet of the house batteries. Be sure to add a 250Amp ANL fuse on the +12v side. Also be sure to add a chassis ground wire to the inverter.
7. Add a Xantrex remote control somewhere inside the coach. I mounted it right at the entry doorway along with existing control switches.

Mounting location:
1. The second transfer switch is mounted inside the bedroom platform behind the back panel. From there you will have access to the output of first transfer switch and 110v circuit breaker.
2. The Xantrex inverter and the fuse holder are under the subfloor above inside of the baggage compartment. Beware of the waterline above the subfloor.

Hope this help to answer your question.
The step 6 of my last posting has some changes:

6. Be sure to add a 250Amp ANL fuse on the +12v side. Also be sure to add a chassis ground wire to the inverter.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum