Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #991
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
One inch of front lift is a lot ... especially if near maximum load compression like mine! I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sumo or the more expensive springs. Any improvement to regaining design spec rake and ride hight typically improves handling. Raising the front should shift a little load rearward and have an increasingly positive effect to caster & toe. The downside is when this causes camber to go past 0 into positive (top slightly leaning out).

I too have some fear the HD (1klb) sumo might make the ride rougher, though the chassis rake correction might be worth it. My gut and experience tells me to be really "right", the springs might be a better long term choice.
It's unlikely you'll see an inch.

Ford stripped chassis rated at 14,500 pounds GVWR have 5,000-pound front suspension with front springs rated at 418 pounds per inch on each side.

Assuming the SumoSprings that JamieGeek listed are rated 500 pounds per spring (not per pair -- it's not clear but will assume higher rating), it takes 2 inches of compression to get to the 500 pounds. The Sumo is 4-inches long and is rated at 50% compression.

So in order for it to lift motorhome an inch at rest, the Sumo would need to be compressed around 2 inches from the start. And if that were the case, there would be only a little over an inch of compression left before the Sumo would be damaged from normal use. They claim 80% compression without damage.

Bottom line -- if their specs are even close, it won't lift the motorhome an inch. The only way that would happen is if motorhome is overloaded, or coil springs have sagged permanently, in which case the Sumo would be compressed so much from start that it won't be able to handle the load for long without getting destroyed.

Please note I'm not suggesting they don't work as reported to increase roll stiffness, or increase damping rate. Just saying those particular springs probably won't lift your front end very much if that's what you are looking for.

By the way, I'm aware Jamie has E-350 chassis which could have 4,600-pound front suspension, although I think they all had optional 5,000-pound ratings. Regardless, it wouldn't make much difference. The numbers don't change much. My 2 cents .... I hope you get whatever you're trying to fix "right".

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum