Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
Hi GMC, I know this is an older thread but if you are there still, does your Surge Guard also have capacity to disconnect the rig if there are power surges or low power? What else does it do?

And, can you say more about how exactly you secure it so it's not stolen?

thanks,
Still here...
Yes - it protects against high/low voltages, including surges - disconnects the rig for a minimum of 2 min (protection for compressors in appliances - frig/ac - that don't like a quick off/on when running).
It also verifies correct wiring on the pedestal before connecting to the RV systems - open grounds, etc..

Between home (full house surge suppressor) and RV - I can't even count the $$ they have saved me when neighbors had equipment damaged.
Last RV issue I know about - it tripped multiple times at an RV park due to low voltage... working with the park we found a problem in the main circuit feeding that portion of the park - a loose connection on a main upstream breaker was the culprit.
Last home issue was hearing the unit 'give its life' with a bang to save the rest of the house (I was 20' away) on a large surge as power company re-energized lines after a blackout... Surge suppressor was the only damage in my house... Neighbors lost appliances and electronics.

For security:
They sell a plastic cover that locks over the connection between surge guard and RV power cable... To me that just means they take the power cable too (assuming it plugs into the RV at other end...)
I use a length of chain wrapped tightly around the pedestal and wrapped around the short wire length between the surge guard and its plug (RV end)...
A determined thief could cut the chain and/or lock (or output cable - but that would damage the unit) - but nothing really stops someone that determined...

The other option is of course the hardwired version - inside the RV.. Certainly better protected from theft.
Two things steered me away from that direction (personal preference)...
One was that newer units seemed to have eliminated the 'bypass switch' - and I wanted an easy option to have power if the unit failed for some reason... Rewiring the main feed to the RV to bypass isn't something I wanted to have to do on the fly.
Second was reports that the units can hum... and it would have been located under the bed.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum