Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #19
craigdrabik

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #6466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
We use an old Apple TV (2nd Gen I think) connected to a TV HDMI port. Tricky part is setting up local network to get your iPhone, iPad, Mac to communicate with the Apple TV. I had a small network controller (can't remember the brand) that I use for business travel in hotels to set up my own wireless network (gets around hotels that charge for internet by the device or limit the number of devices and also keeps your devices from seeing bad stuff from the hotel network). It acts as a router so the Apple TV and other devices see each other.
I've been an Apple TV user since the 1st generation, and I have all of my content in iTunes (movies, music, TV shows, etc). I plan on getting an Apple TV setup going in my Vegas before my next trip. I picked up an older Mac Mini to act as the media server, and I basically duplicate my iTunes library from my home machine onto a 3TB external hard drive hooked up to the Mini. A cheap wifi hub and some 3rd-generation Apple TVs for the other two TVs will give me access to my whole media library on all three TVs. Including the Mac Mini, external drive, wifi router, and two Apple TVs, the whole setup goes for about $550 total. You might have better or worse luck depending on eBay

Even if you don't go whole-hog on the setup, a 3rd generation Apple TV (the small black one) might be a good idea for you if you're an iPad or iPhone user. With wifi set up, you can AirPlay from your device to the Apple TV without hassling with cables. You can get Apple TVs on eBay these days for under $50.

On Android, ChromeCast is a great option, but again you'll need wifi.

If folks are interested I'll put together a step-by-step when I install everything.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum