Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Onan Shutting Down

This happened last fall and has now happened again. My 5500 Onan will run fine if just sitting stationary. Once you get on the road it will only run for anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes before shutting down. I have looked at my fault code and it is of course code 36 (3 blinks and then 6 blinks).

I have read past posts on this forum and did some research online. For my model (2014 chassis/2015 coach - Challenger 37GT) it looks to me like this could possibly be one of three things. A defective fuel pump, inadequate air ventilation to generator compartment, or carb gummed up from lack of use.

I just filled the tank for preparation of heading out on a 7,000 miles plus trip in about 3 weeks. The first thing I am doing is inspecting and probably changing the air cleaner on the Onan and then adding several cans of Sea Foam to the tank.

For those that have had similar experiences with their Onan gen sets, what have you done to correct this situation besides taking it back to dealer or Onan facility?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum