Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #35
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have had four motor homes in 30 years of RVing and have not found that any kind of steering stabilization has been necessary. I drive it knowing that it has limitations on stability, so driving slower, staying alert, and using the steering wheel to correct for wandering in crosswinds are all part of driving a big top-heavy box.
I agree with the above statement somewhat. All my experience before this year came from fivers pulled with a 1-ton diesel, so while I was running down the highway with the cruise on steering with two fingers in 30mph crosswinds I was watching all the "big top-heavy boxes" lean and weave all over the place while they fought the same winds. Every once and awhile I would come up on a 35' to 40' MH that was able to drive the speed limit and stay perfectly straight. Why? Did some of these units have steering stabilizers and Zumo springs?

I have less than a year in my Challenger. But the initial 1300 to 1400 miles trip to Florida had one decent day and two windy "white knuckle" days. Thanks to information and advise on this forum and another one, I discovered I needed a front end alignment, max air in my tires, plus the CHF. I completed those and after some test drives in 20mph winds the rig handles better, but still not good enough.

On May 2nd they will install my Safe T Plus at the factory in Austell. I will be driving just under 500 miles to camp behind their building the night before. As soon as the installation, road test, and adjustments are complete I will continue north for another 400 plus miles. There is no better way for me to make a determination on these stabilizers working or not than to be able to compare on two consecutive days.

If it does what 90% of users have claimed then I will be a very happy camper. If it doesn't make a different than I am an idiot and am going to have to continue to fight the wheel on this "big top-heavy box" for a long time.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.