Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
MountainElite

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #4256
Leaking 23H and other stuff

Hi. Just thought I'd drop a quick note and cover a couple of things. We bought a Freedom Elite 23H last spring from Camping World in Asheville, TN, and the first year we put about 8,200 miles on it. It was wonderful. We loved the ride, the comfort and it was a great move up from a travel trailer.

Just this spring, a couple of weeks ago, we uncovered it and started getting it ready for our first trip. Suddenly the backup camera stopped working. So, one day before our 2-week trip began I called Camping World and they got me in that morning. Rushing down to the dealership (60 miles), I only waited about 30 minutes before a tech came out and starting tearing apart the dash. Turns out the Axxera radio had been shoved back so far back into the dash that the yellow (video) RCA plug had been nearly severed. Perhaps the freeze/thaw over the winter had sent it over the edge. But the tech there used some spare parts he had and kulged together a solution that got us through the 2-week trip. Kudos to both Camping World for expediting our service and to the tech for his brilliance.

OK, so we got back from our trip. Dry trip, with maybe a little light rain on the morning of the last day. Two days ago we had a pretty good rain here at the house. Didn't even think about it. Today we were doing the cleaning before we put the RV back into its parking spot. As we drove the RV into position before putting it on the small front ramps that keep it level, the nose was down and to the left. Suddenly a LOT of water came down off the overhead (driver side) where the fiberglass curve meets the flat fiberglass piece over the truck cab. I first thought it was condensation coming from the roof, but it didn't stop, so I began looking closer. The water wasn't coming out of the weep hole on the trim, or down the sides as I first thought. It was coming from the trim piece that covers the butt joint between the two fiberglass pieces.

It just kept coming. I got my camera out and took a video. It kept coming. Maybe more than a gallon. I went inside the coach and climbed up on the bunk above the front seats. The driver side front of the cushion was dry. I moved over to the passenger side and found wet. Seems like a lot of wet. We pulled the cushion out and had to get paper towels to dry the remainder. Sumthin' is leaking. We had been on the roof before our trip and hadn't found anything that needed attention, so I'm at a loss.

Called Camping World, again. They were great, again. Got the coach in this afternoon and hope for an answer in the next couple of days, or perhaps a week. I'll update when I hear from them, but in the meantime, anybody seen something like this before?

I completely understand the Freedom Elite is entry-level Class C, but I do wish the folks that work on them would do a quality job anyway. And I understand things creep up in even the most expensive coaches, but it would be great if they would just take a little pride in their work when assembling them.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum