Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #129
Ziggys Vegas

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1347
Front Air Bag Installation

I wasn't to happy with the way the Vegas handled, especially when being passed by large trucks, and on back roads so I installed Air Lift bags in the front coils. The installation went relatively easily. The upper shock nuts must be removed, and the sway bar disconnected in order to get the spring out. I used a vacuum pump to remove most of the air in the bag, then folded it like a hot dog bun, and secured it with zip ties. Air Lift did not supply any protection for the top of the bag where it contacted the spring, so I cut some large washers out of heavy rubber I had around.

At 90 lbs air pressure in the bags the front was raised about 3/4 of an inch. When I took it in to be aligned they had to put in adjustable camber bushings, as Ford uses non-adjustable ones, to set the camber correctly. The guys at the shop were surprised that the recommended air pressure in the rear duals was 65 psi for this size vehicle, and suggested raising it to 70 psi or even to 75psi to help reduce the swaying. I will have to experiment with that. I haven't driven it on the interstate since it was aligned, but it felt better when I drove it home on back roads.

This shop aligns a lot of the motorhomes in this area and this was the first Vegas they had seen and they wondered about how much it would cost to replace the windshield, and how Thor designed the area around the windshield to prevent twisting and subsequent cracking of the windshield. They were impressed with the use of the long wheelbase chassis on a 25 footer with the resulting shorter rear overhang. They commented that some of the Class C's were on such a short wheelbase chassis as to be dangerous.

I'll report back later after I put a few thousand miles on it.

Sorry that I didn't take any pictures of the installation, but it is pretty much self explanatory.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.