Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboss View Post
Monaco made a diesel pusher with 4 super large tires.
Thanks, I did not know that. I suppose that with rear weight bias of a DP they probably used larger super-singles on back. It must have not gone over well if not in production today.

I was thinking more in terms of small to medium gas motorhomes. For example, Ford goes up to 10,050 pounds GVWR on E-Series with tires like on my van, rated just above 6,000 pounds per axle. If we double that, tires rated at 12,000 pounds per axle could easily go up to 20,000 pounds GVWR as far as I know (unless there are regulations that prevent it -- which is doubtful).

So a 12,000-pound rear axle and 9,000-pound front axle could support up to 20,000 pound GVWR while using 4 equal-size tires and wheels. I'd like that better than duallies.

We're going in that direction anyway. Some Single Rear Wheel pickups are already rated up to 12,000 pounds GVWR. I don't see any obstacles other than wanting to do it, a little higher cost, and maybe customer demand.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.