Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #31
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Over on the solar-electric forums the suggested ratio is no more then 4 to 1.
So for a 12 volt battery that would be 48 volts.
If one is planning of PV panels with higher then 21 volts Voc then it really makes sense to go with MPPT; the same if wiring panels in series.
Series panels make sense out west with no shading but on the East coast or with shading parallel is better.
Thanks, good to know.

I haven't looked into technical design details yet, in large part because we travel or tour more than camp in one place, so engine alternator can do all we need to keep batteries charged even if not on shore power.

I did see one 400-watt panel that's rated for 48 Volts nominal. I suppose they could be wired in parallel with the right controller if looking for large system. For us the economics just don't work out well, but that's changing constantly. In any case I'm glad Axis comes prewired. Since we keep vehicles so long, it's likely I'll end up with solar at some point -- even if just to keep battery charged while stored.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum