Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
when it comes to how ANY motorhome is delivered to the dealer from the factory, how do you EXPECT them to be delivered? ...the baby stork?

as one who delivers factory motorhomes to dealers, I can tell you that they are ready to be driven when they are handed off to the driver. The FACTORY is responsible for a test drive, and to make sure everything is corrrect and operational, though if we're discussing the CHASSIS, then that is a FORD issue. Ford may give guidance to new owners of vehicles, like your car which was TRAILERED to a dealer, but a raw RV chassis is a different story. It is driven from the end of the factory line at Ford to a yard. It is then loaded onto a trailer and delivered to the factory yard that builds the 'house' part of the RV. It is then driven as a raw chassis into the factory, and then test driven by the factory, and parked in a factory yard. It is then picked up by the delivery company, and driven to THEIR yard. It is then picked up by a driver and driven to the dealer.

Does anyone NOT expect the driver to have a way to get back home?
(I'm referring to the comments about a new RV being delivered, with a toad attached)

Ford, and any other manufacturer of vehicles, is giving 'break in' time guidance to the general public. They realize that these vehicles will have to be DRIVEN to the dealer, not magically appear there, and are already designed to handle a 3,500lb toad, even during the 'first 1,000 miles'...

matter of fact, I know of very few new motorhome buyers, who have an existing toad, that are going to 'drive' the RV 1,000 miles BEFORE they attach their toad, even IF the motorhome was delivered with 0 miles!

Honestly, I think that the driving of a motorhome to the dealer is a terrific shake down trip and way for the dealer to have information about any existing chassis issues when it arrives.
Since you drive many different ones, care to mention which drive better than others, which you find easier to drive? And I don't mean comparing diesel pusher to small Class C, although that too would be interesting to read. Mostly I'm interested in your general observations if you have any, like how wind affects them, gas mileage, etc...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum