Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #15
Hudsoner

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
To improve ride quality on rough roads, you need more suspension compliance, not less.
Yes,you are right. However Thor decided with my motorhome type to put as little weight as possible on the front axle (and who knows with how many others). The only weight I have on this heavy duty front axle is the drive train, the coach battery, and to some extend the house batteries, and, of course, any passengers in the front seats. This is way to little weight for the layout of the front springs. To add injury to insult, they decided to put the fresh water tank as far to the back as they could, It touches the rear end cap of the motorhome! And also the generator, the gas gasoline tank and the propane tank are located behind the rear axle. All this weight tries even more to unload the front axle, and the result is a very harsh ride in the front, because the springs re never in their most efficient position.
I am currently trying to figure out, how much additional weight I need in the front to get an appropriate ride quality (I use steel plates with known weights for this). For the case that I need some weight close to 400 lb, I will install the next softer truck springs from a Ford vehicle. The softer springs, in combination with the Sumo maxim springs I have installed already, should provide me with a similar front axle ride quality as can be found in the Kelderman modifications.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.