Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #20
Hudsoner

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It doesn't quite work that way. Installing air bags or Sumos in back may lift the rear, but it won't push weight forward appreciably. You may get a couple of percent due to new motorhome angle shifting Cg forward a tiny amount, but that's about it.

Also, when you have springs working in parallel, combined they become stiffer in total. That should make ride firmer/harsher and not softer.

I wish there was a simple solution for you, but I don't know of one.
Thanks for reminding me about the dynamics I plan to go this way because I have no problem with ride harshness in the rear, but if I can shift some of the weight (by using the rear axle as a load point) to the front, it would increase stability and drive comfort (by whatever small amount), and it also would bring my motorhome into a more leveled position (front to back). At that point I can really play around with the front suspension to see what can be done to soften the front a little more. My son feels that the springs of an F450 4x4 Truck would do the job. It seems that those are the springs, Kelderman is using in the front. They use airbags, but I hope that the Sumo Maxims will function similar, and I would not to have to mess with air lines and a compressor by using them.

It would very involved to copy the rear suspension mods Kelderman does, but I have not a real problem with the rear, the Koni shocks seem to do a good job there (and the rear weight bias of my unit). I will be happy, if I can reduce the hard hits in the front and can achieve a more comfortable ride this way.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum