Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Safe T Plus
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #28
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
After purchasing my Challenger in the fall and bringing it over 1300 miles to Florida I knew suspension upgrades would be required. I have read a lot of information on this forum and others. I'm not convinced that installing sumo products would have the same result on different models of Thor motorhomes, or would have the same effect on a Class A as compared to a Class C. My rolling box is 38' long and 12'8" tall, that is a lot of fiberglass and not much weight to catch wind. My wheelbase to length ratio isn't the best either. I believe the key is to stiffen the suspension enough that you don't get so much body roll, but yet the ride isn't so harsh you jar all the cabinets off the wall.

If Sumo springs (front and rear) would do that on a F53 chassis then that could be a solution. If air bags (Firestone for example) front and rear would be better than maybe spending $1,000 to $1,500 for those could be worth it. I'm not sold on changing shocks for any benefit because it has Bilstein that are almost new.

I had Firestone air bags on my F350 when we were pulling a heavy fiver full time. I used them more to level the truck. However, if after unhooking I left 30 or 40 pounds of air in them it certainly stiffened up the rear of that vehicle. In my mind having air bags on all four corners of one of these rolling boxes would work. Thoughts?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum