Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Newbie question
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #19
Ronaldedd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Illinois
THOR #7006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The 30FE is a large Class C at over 32 feet in length, and has two slides that add even more weight. Even for the E-450 chassis that's a lot of motorhome.

I personally would weigh it not only to get total weight, but also front and rear axle weights. With a motorhome that long, any trailer tongue weight could result in too much load at rear axle. The 30FE should have about 11 feet of rear overhang, so any trailer tongue weight will show up much higher at rear axle (over 50% higher).

If the receiver hitch is limited to 500 pounds, that's going to make towing a Durango on a trailer impractical in my opinion. Joe is correct that the car can be moved back on trailer to decrease tongue weight, but in practice if tongue weight drops below around 10% of total, the trailer may become unstable at speed. For that reason I think a trailer isn't going to work at all unless the receiver has a weight rating of close to 1,000 pounds, and I seriously doubt it does.

Another option may be a driveshaft disconnect coupling so the Durango can be towed 4 down. I know very little about those devices, and additionally don't like modifying drivetrains, so can't recommend them. Just mentioning that may be another option to investigate.

Using a weight distribution hitch system will allow more tongue weight, it does just what it says, it distributes the weight, putting more on the trailer and coach axles.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.