Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
yes they sure do. I learned the hard and expensive way, over many years with boats and my old popup. And found that the battery in my MH was DOA when I bought the coach new.
These things are damaged by deep discharge, and I think what happens often, as what I'm sure is what happened in the case of my MH....
the RV sits on the lot for a while, and the battery gets drained
either by self discharge over time, &/or by folks leaving the "use" switch connected, maybe a light left on over night, etc.....
It might sit dead for a day or more, then get recharged
One, two, or more cycles like this kill the battery.
It might hold enough charge when recharged to look ok for a PDI
but it's really no good at all.

The very first thing I did on mine was to install battery post disconnect switches on my chassis and house batteries. When I park the thing, I always disconnect them so that there is zero chance for parasitic loads to drain them. Now all I have to worry with is the self discharge that happens over time.
They last a lot longer than they did in my popup.

I found that my isolating relay was bad a few weeks ago, when I discovered that after a long drive my house battery was only partially charged, and barely made it through the night of light use. I was at the Sun n Fun fly-in, and found a vendor selling aircraft grade contactors so I was able to replace it right away...but I'm afraid my battery was probably harmed....so I'll prob. be buying a new battery soon.

edit: now I know to listen for that click regularly to make sure it's working

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.