Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #20
23U_2016

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #7389
8,000 lb Trailer Hitch For 23U Cannot Be Used For 8,000 lb Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Tow capacity is not necessarily GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) minus GVW ( Gross Vehicle Weight). Other limitations may exist, beyond obvious axle capacities and loads, like the strength or stiffness of the frame, etc.

Ford ads I've seen claim E-Series can tow up to 10,000 pounds when properly equipped, although I know some people would routinely tow more with standard vans.

The biggest concern I would have with a heavy trailer behind most Class Cs is that the hitch ball can be 9-feet or more behind rear axle. On shorter Cs with a wheelbase of only 158 inches, that long an overhang may compromise stability more than I personally would want.

I agree that RV manufacturers should advertise more clearly, and that stating an 8,000-pound hitch without including more pertinent information shouldn't be done. On the other hand that's the nature of the business in my opinion.

I would rank that right up there with not informing buyers that their chassis are cut, extended, and welded back together. Or that by offering more storage in basement models the motorhome will be less stable and harder to drive.

Full disclosure with negative implications doesn't seem to be their practice. It's more let the buyer beware.
You are not even in the same arena as you have superimposed the far bigger RV extensions with the 23U model. The 23U (23') is on a Ford made 158" chassis, i.e. no Thor cut and weld extensions, and the rear bumper is mounted on a very short 32" extension. Thor ignored the Ford specification to use a butt welded C channel with a center weld plate for the extension and instead used a self fabricated piece of plate steel bent into a 90 degree angle. Probably saved less than $50 but you know how mighty the buck is.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.