Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #288
Scott

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
Carl,

Again sorry for the delay and hopefully this information is useful to you.

The modifications we made include the following.

1. Removed the love seat and installed a wheelchair lift in that location. The lift we had installed is similar to the type you see on public buses or motor coaches for long distance traveling. Definitely heavy duty. The we sacrificed the outside TV in order to do this. The doors to the lift do have a window in each door.

2. We had the toilet relocated to the outside wall and the vanity removed so that there was a straight (well maybe straighter) path to the bed.

3. The shower was modified so that I could my shower chair entirely in it. Unfortunately my feet stick out past the shower floor so we have to put towels down on the floor when I take a shower. I'm not very happy with this modification and would like to redo it. When General RV did this modification they put in a separate tank to collect the shower water instead of letting it drain into the black tank as originally designed. Consequently we now have a drain line that is below the bottom of the unit and is visible. To this day I cannot understand why they did this.

We purchased a portable lift system so I can be put in bed. We were under the gun in trying to get these modifications done and did not explore if we could have had an overhead lift system installed or attached to the ceiling. I believe all we need to is contact Thor and see if the ceiling could handle such a system or would it need to be reinforced.

We now would like to remove the short wall that separates the bathroom from the bunk beds. General RV initially has told us that was a load bearing wall, but the more I look at it I doubt that it is. Contacting Thor on this will also be necessary.

Hope this information is helpful and not too late. Our more immediate item is replacing the Jensen radio since we can't get it to turn off like so many other people have experienced as well.

Thanks,

Scott
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum