Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
Thor29.3inAZ

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Hi Bob, wellcome to the THOR ACE series.
I have the very same unit and I hate, hate, HATE rattles..... But you mentioned road noise. I had a lot of noise though out the coach.
So, and the list is a bit long, sorry....
I first bought a mattress foam cover. About an inch thick. I took off the covers on the dash and laid out foam inside the dash. I couldn't get to all the dash but pretty much most of it.
I also bought, on line, sound deadening material. It can be pricy too so look around. There are a couple of youtube vids on this part too. I put the material along the wall/dash under the engine compartment. And some in the wheel wells.
I next had the wife drive down a section of road that was a bit bumpy to see what was going on in the coach. The TV's were bouncing around, the compartment in steps was rattling, and the screen door was banging around. I bought some insulation strips, about a 1/2 wide with sticky backing. Made a couple of strips to take up the space on the screen door and the TV's too.
I also used the foam to lay down in each cabinet. It helps with keeping things from moving around and reducing the rattling from what ever you have stored in them. We also left the bubble wrap on some of the pots and pans. We use paper plates and plastic wear for eating so we don't have a bunch of metal rattling around. And then we don't have to wash much either.
The dinning table rattles a little but not all the time. Still figuring that out. I put a cut pool noodle in the microwave so the plate would stay in place and not rattle.
Now here is the biggest difference in rattles and constant noise. Inflate the tire to what the placard says. We had a blow out on the rears due to a rock stuck in-between the tires. The tire guy mentioned that I should be running the tires at max pressure. It was the worst ride and EVERTING rattled. Even some of the cabinets were bouncing around. Our ACE has the tires inflated to 82 PSI. And this by far was the best improvement despite all the other stuff I did.
Now..... we can talk to each other without screaming. We can hear the stereo without having it full blast (unless we are singing along).
Some other things to consider, do the cheap handling fix (search for it if you don't know already), get a front end alinement and install a front stabilizer shock. These all worked so great that now we are not being pushed onto the shoulder by 18 wheelers. One other thing that made a pretty good improvement against sway from the passing of the 18 wheeler was installing Air Tabs. Bear in mind, here in AZ, 18 wheelers can travel at 75 mph. I tend to travel not more than 65 mph. So they can push around a RV.
Good luck with your RV.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum