Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: 50 amp plug in
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 03:47 AM   #41
anijet

Brand: DRV
Model: 36TK3
State: California
THOR #2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I know this changed with later readings - but nothing will 'overload' if it were the case... It is exactly what a 30A to 50A adapter does - it bridges the same single hot to both 'line' contacts - the neutral can still never see more than 50A because the single 50A breaker will trip.

Whether you really have access to 50A or 100A total depends on how the pedestal was wired and whether you are using an adapter in the line.

At new home right now I'm using a 30A to 50A adapter - until I get the new '50A' line run...
Line 1 to Neutral = 110v
Line 2 to Neutral = 110v
Line 1 to Line 2 = 0v (both are same live wire - no flow of electricity...)

I don't believe even wiring a pedestal this way violates any code (at least if it were a single pole 50A breaker...) and does provide '50 amps' - it just doesn't provide 100 amps... likely to be the parks argument.

Rigs that need a true 220V (like for the 220v dryer mentioned) wouldn't work in that setup... Wouldn't hurt it - just wouldn't power the 220V appliances.
What was being considered was IF the same 120vac line was run to both 50 amp breakers and each breaker was connected to each line contact on a 50 amp outlet you could see 100 amps on the ships neutral.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.