Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppypaws View Post
Thanks Chance.
As far as I can tell, in our Synergy the house batteries are only used for the overhead lights, the retractable steps, and to trigger the generator start up. So I don't see and obvious hardwired "outlet" for the battery power. There are 2 house batteries under the stairs for the house.
So would one have to just use alligator clamps on the batteries that are under the RV stairs to hook up? Or would there be a more elegant way to tap into the House battery power.
If it were me, I'd install a 12-Volt plug (cigarette lighter type) near where I plan to use laptop on a regular basis if it's convenient. I'd want the power from the house batteries to go through a fuse, and wouldn't run it directly from battery with alligator clips -- not if I was going to use laptop often.

I'm assuming the laptop adaptor you purchased plugs directly into cigarette lighter plug. Look at power specs on it but I expect it's more efficient than using an inverter plus a laptop charger. Not that powering a laptop should make a big difference anyway, because as Ed mentioned, there are a lot of larger loads you will end up using while boondocking for days. Between lights, water pump, fans, etc., you'll have to recharge the house batteries on a regular basis. Still, every extra bit of efficiency helps.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.