Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
Yes, the receiver still works fine. I did the entire install with the ball hitch in place. So far I've driven about 400 miles both towing a trailer and just the RV and haven't noticed any movement at all. I did consider a larger bolt but the tensile strength of a grade 2 3/8" 16 bolt is ~5700 lb so I thought there was plenty of margin.
It's great that you were able to keep full use of your hitch receiver. I'm also curious how you found it easier to mount assembly. Do you first bolt tube to wheel and then lift tube into receiver? Some other way? Inquiring minds want to know.

My comment about the bolt was more about it providing adequate stability to keep tire/wheel from rocking side-to-side. If you notice on most tire carriers they often use two or more bolts spaced out with wheel resting against a large flat surface that makes it easy to limit motion. In your case the wheel is bolted to a surface less than 2-inches wide, so bolt doesn't have as much leverage to restrict rocking without much higher stresses. Unfortunately in a case like this it's nearly impossible to estimate dynamic loads so they lead to some concern.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum