Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: towable storage
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Yes, thats about what I am thinking of just a little bigger. I have searched on the computer and haven't found a source of small trailers other than the small motor cycle type. I may swing by a U-Haul and check one of these out for size and maybe I will know a little more about what I am looking for. Another issue I have is the ability to move it easily by hand. Over the years I have seen small trailers but at the time had no interest in them. I think a small box trailer would be too heavy to move easily. I'm not a spring chicken any more.
I can relate to your need, and the limited options that may work all around.

If you look at specs for small aluminum trailers, which should weigh equal or less than molded fiberglass, even the smallest trailers like the Aluma (expensive by the the way) is 340 pounds empty. When loaded you may be close to 1,000 pounds which may make it difficult to move except on level pavement or concrete.

https://www.alumaklm.com/enclosed-tr...closed-trailer

Depending on how much excess load capacity you have left on your motorhome, and how much weight you plan to carry in trailer, you may want to also consider a hitch-mounted enclosed cargo box. They make many sizes (some are huge) and that way you wouldn't have to move it around. It also makes backing up easier. Downside is that it has to stay on throughout a given trip, and may affect handling a little if heavily loaded.

Because we have zero outside storage, that's the option we use. It's a small plastic enclosed and lockable box that works great for us. I just wish it was a lot larger, but back when I got it, it was the largest I could find at a reasonable price.

There are various companies that make enclosed hitch cargo carriers often used with SUVs and vans, so some have a swing-away supporting frame to allow rear doors to open. That design usually adds some cost, and limits cargo weight.

The largest I've seen specifically built for motorhomes attach directly to frame rails which adds capacity and stability. On smaller RVs like yours weight may still be an issue.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum