Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #178
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9
I still don't know why people spend so much money on tow bars adapters and braking systems tow dollies are not that expensive and tow just as easy .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek
We've used 2 different tow dollies and they worked ok to get from point A to B pounding pavement but they were always in the way otherwise. We hit forest service roads and disconnect the toad. With dolly we had to wheel it around by hand and either tow it with the toad or let it bounce more excessively behind the motorhome. Invariably when left attached to the motorhome it had to be disconnected in the most inconvenient situations ... such as one time when headed up a steep single track road we discovered was blocked by a big tree and there was no way I'd make it all the way back down that trail in reverse with the dolly attached that I couldn't even see clearly! Flat tow is vastly more simple in our experience and totally worth the extra cost for our excursions.
As the saying goes: "That's why there is Ford's and Chevy's"

Having seen TyCreek's posts I'm surprised you've tried a dolly at all!

We're square in the dolly camp as we don't "off-road" our camper like TyCreek does (although his pics have been amazing--I'd love to camp out in the middle of nowhere like that!) and I've been leasing vehicles recently so I don't want to modify them to be able to bring them along.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum