Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Tire pressures.
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
brianh442

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
I have a 2017 challenger 37yt with 22.5 Michelins on it. I have no access to truck scales within 100 miles of me so I don't know what tire pressure to have. There is no sticker on the door for tire info and looking up the specs say it's 24,000 GVW. I may have 1000 pounds loaded on the rig. Anyone have a similar rig to give me a starting point. The charts I've seen have front and rear weights with the pressures accordingly, but again, I have nothing to work with. The dealer said they put 100 pounds in them. Going on a shakedown trip Monday.

Any help please ?
Two schools of thought;

1) Thor places a placard somewhere near the drivers seat, it lists the inflation psi for the coach, which would be the max weight its rated to. In the case of my Miramar, it's rated at 24,000 lbs. they recommend 110 PSI based on the max weight.

Ford also recommends the coach tires be inflated to this psi.

2) Michelin the tire maker recommends running the tires at a specific psi, based on the actual weight you run your coach at. Similar to when you have your front end aligned when your coach is new, they recommend you load the rig as if you were going on a trip, with all your "stuff", water in your fresh tank as well as full tank of gas.

This is the time to run across a scale, I use the DOT scale along the highway, I figure if it's accurate enough to write truckers fines, it's accurate enough for my purposes!! Using this weight, Michelin has a chart you can reference to find the recommended psi. For my Miramar 33.5, loaded with all my "stuff" plus full fuel, I weigh in around 21,000 pounds. According to the Michelin chart I should run around 85 psi If I remember right.

If you take your rig to a Ford dealer for service, they will always inflate to the placarded psi, unless you tell them otherwise.

There are also other threads here about this topic, I'm sure someone will come along and say I'm wrong or there's a better way to do it!!

Just my 2 cent worth!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.