Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylelr View Post
I purchased jackstands as a way to stabilize rather than install scissor jacks for cost and because I was unsure about the best place to put them. The Thor literature is not very helpful with this and dealers want to sell things. I assume the rear stabilizers need to go on the two beams that run the length of the RV. How close to the rear bumper would they be? I really have no idea where to place the front stabilizers. Would they be placed under the cab or further back under the house? For those who have the single front jack, where is it located?
My engineering 2 cents.

Do you have jackstands that can be adjusted to take weight off suspension? If not, I'm not sure how you plan to lift motorhome enough to get stands below frame rails so that they take some load off springs.

To your question of placement along the length, I think you need to evaluate what's easiest to reach and work versus what's most effective in reducing movement. Ends of RV are usually easy to reach, but not as effective because it leaves more RV frame length to flex.

Normally you want to place jacks or supports near suspension to minimize frame unsupported length which reduces flex. Somewhere just behind the front suspension should be good for front jacks. At the rear if motorhome has long overhang I'd place the jacks just behind the rear suspension, being careful with fuel tank. If RV has long wheelbase and shorter rear overhang, placing rear jacks just ahead of rear wheels should yield good results too.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.