Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Tire pressures.
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hames57 View Post
I have tire pressure monitors. The tires are rated for 100 psi but ACE sticker wants to inflate them only to 82 PSI. As I drive, within 15 or 20 minutes, the tires will all be running at 90 to 94 PSI. I haven't run in 100 degree weather yet, so expect the tires to get to the 100 tire rating pretty quickly.
This may help. As I understand it, the maximum pressure rating applies to "cold" inflation only, and it's expected that if tire started the day at maximum pressure, then it will go over that rating due to temperature. That's normal and expected as far as I know for truck tires also.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=196

It's important to note that much of the temperature rise in tires comes from within the tire due to the constant flexing of the tire, not just from ambient. Much of that energy the engine has to produce to overcome rolling resistance ends up as heat in tires. That's why the faster we drive the hotter tires get, assuming everything else remains equal.

In no case should air be bled off to lower pressure because of this. If that were done, the tire would then get hotter, eventually leading to failure. High tire temperature is usually the biggest problem.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum