Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Tire pressures.
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
Mike in AZ

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Mike, I wouldn't run down the highway without my TPMS on and working. I want to know the temp and psi of my tires, plus have the benefit of an alarm sounding if I start dropping pressure in a tire.

Just a word of caution about setting your psi initially. You can load up and run it across a scale for $10 and then consult your tire manufacturers guide for more precise psi, or go by placard in your coach. You will probably be setting them somewhere between 85 and 95. But you want to set them all when they are in the shade and at the same time. DO NOT KEEP ADJUSTING ONE OR TWO DURING A TRIP. Unless there is something wrong with one of your tires they will not bleed off pressure during a trip. If I turn on my TPMS just as the sun is coming up it shows all of my tires within 2 pounds of each other. They are all in the same temp conditions with no sun on them. Now if at 10am I start checking them I will find that the ones on the sunny side of my coach show 3 to 5 psi higher. So if I let air out of those they will be low by that much when running down the interstate. Get them set right the first time and leave them alone. Trust your TPMS. IMHO a TPMS is about the most important piece of safety equipment you can have on a larger RV.
Thanks Joe! Great info and advice. I have TPMS built into my F150 and have had cars with same for years. I don't get excited about minor changes in tire pressure, but know they'll alert me to serious issues. You've convinced me, I'm going to make this an early addition to my new RV.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.