Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Metalgator

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
No generator start on 2018 Miramar

Just picked up our new 2018 Miramar 35.3. During the PDI, I asked them to start the generator. We were outside the motorhome at the time and the tech pulled the cover off the Onan 5500 and tried to start the gen. It wouldn't turn over. After messing with it awhile, he called the service manager. Apparently, the service manager knew about the problem because he told me that they had spoken to Thor about the issue but no one knew the fix. If you unhook the control cable from the generator, the gen will start fine from outside. This Miramar has the new Multiplex controls inside. I believe there are 3 different locations on the mulitplex panels where you should be able to start the gen from inside. The main Multiplex panel also has the settings for the auto gen start. There is also a gen start button on the dash. None of the inside control will start the generator. The service manager said he thought the control module was sending a "stop" signal to the generator and that's why it wouldn't start from the inside panels and that's why he pulled the control cable from the gen to be able to start from outside. Since I had a manual way to start the gen, I went ahead and took delivery of the coach since I have a couple of trips planned. The dealer is supposed to speak to Thor about a fix.

When I got the coach home, I was playing around with all the features. I opened the compartment where the batteries are and noticed there is a large fuse/throw switch. It is labeled 100 so I am assuming 100 amps? It has a button and I pushed the button what looks like a lever popped out of the breaker. I pushed the breaker lever back in and the generator fired up and started running?! I went inside and looked at the main multiplex panel and it showed the generator running. Mind you this is with the control cable still plugged into the generator. At the dealer, they unplugged this cable to manually start the gen at the actual generator outside. I was able to turn of the gen from the inside panel. Once the gen is off, I can only restart by either unplugging the control cable from the gen and then using the start switch on the gen. Or by leaving the control cable connected and throwing the battery breaker off and then on. Very strange. I know this is a new system for 2018 but does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

Burch

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.