Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
macgyvr

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
2016 Thor Chateau 31E intro and questions

Just purchased on 6/13/17 a 2016 Thor Chateau 31E with 4k miles on it.

A little back story, this is my 5th RV. I bought my first back in 2010 or so when I was 31 years young. A 1989 shadow cruiser truck camper, a couple weeks after my wife and I got engaged. We outgrew that quickly and it wasn't long before I sold it and bought a 2005 48 ft vintage toyhauler. We were a part of an off-road race team and the trailer was awesome for that. We tried to camp in normal campgrounds and that wasn't so much fun. My daughter was born and we traded truck and trailer for a 2008 Gulfstream class B+. Upgraded the frame, built a custom hitch, we could go camping and tow the Jeep to the trails. Had a great time with that, but hated the split bath and no jacks (among other things). Started looking at small diesel pushers and ended up with a 2001 Winnebago 32T. The 5.9 cummins in it cost me lots of money, there was more money to be spent. I loved the big bathroom tho. My son was born and we were not having as much fun camping making beds for them up front and tearing them down every morning to eat breakfast.

We searched and searched for a floor plan with bunks that we liked. We were between the Hurricane 34J and the Chateau 31E. It came down to money and finding something that wasn't brand new (let some one else find the factory issues), and the Class C is something my wife can drive if necessary. I loved the v10 in the Gulfstream, not the fuel mileage but the power was greater than the 5.9 cummins, which didn't make fuel as some claim. Our kids are now almost 2 and almost 5, so bunks were a huge part of the decision. I also wanted a big bathroom and not a split bathroom and could do a class c with jacks. We decided on Thor because it's the only manufacture that offers the 8k hitch, I also looked at the frame setup on the 31E on a test drive of one a few months ago and I was satisfied with way the frame is extended, as we still tow our 2004 Jeep LJ on a trailer with us almost everywhere we go.

I didn't get as in depth as I wanted to on the inspection of this Chateau, but I was satisfied with the major parts I did test and inspect. I negotiated the extra cost of the inspections and other bs out of the cost with the CW sales person. There's no Thor warranty, but there's still chassis and power train warranty. Oddly enough, I bleed Ford blue and even with the concerns of the Thor stuff, I have little worries about the Ford chassis and drive train. One of my main concerns going on a trip is, getting there and home.

So, like moving into a house, we have a mess in the garage to put back in the new to us RV that came out of the Winnie. I'm gonna miss all that basement storage, but we'll figure it out.

I've got a few immediate things to figure out. I've done some searching of this forum, but struggle to find a lot of things specific to the 31E.

The first should be easy, just need to look. Does the Ford E450 chassis use the common Ford trailer pigtail for the brake controller?

2nd, I need to find where the main junction box is for all the coax that runs to the TVs in this baby. I have a portable satellite dish for now and would like to access that to be able to get DirectV to at least my main living area TV and the outdoor TV. Eventual plans will mount a dish on the roof as it's supposed to be prewired from the factory.

3rd, House batteries are junk, no biggie expected that, will be going to 2-6 volts that hopefully will fit under the step into the RV.

I've got some other thoughts and ideas for the entertainment/stereo as there appears to be no central location for that to send signal to the other tvs. I'm not against running some cat5 around this beast to make it all work nice. Need to figure out if the outdoor speakers work with the outdoor tv or just the radio in the bedroom.

Lots to learn, will post as I do and add pics along the way.

Fellow 31E (or whatever other models are similar) owners feel free to chime in with thoughts, ideas, and upgrades.

First trip is a long weekend in a week, and then 9 days in Egg Harbor, WI around July 4th.

mac 'wasting no time in hitting the road' gyvr

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.