Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: GFCI Locations
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #10
loliver19

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Virginia
THOR #6184
Udate

I dug into the Vegas to find out what was giving me the intermittent on/off power on the outdoor outlet, outdoor tv, passenger seat ac plug and the overhead galley plug.
I tore apart the plug behind the outdoor tv (under the cooktop) and found that there were 3 sets of household wire run into a single plug with blade-type, friction wire connections and all of them were loose. I had thought that I solved my problem by re-inserting the wires into the plug (with the breakers OFF, of course). Well, to my dismay, I found that there was no electricity coming to this junction, so I started working backward in the coach to find where the feeder line for AC came from.
To make a long story short, after looking at the GFCI receptacle over the 'bathroom' sink, I found that the real source of the AC that feeds that whole side of the coach receptacles originates at the dresser AC outlet. Once again, 3 wires worked their way out of one of these crappy receptacle plugs, which was giving intermittent power (if the wires were touching) to all of the receptacles forward.
I fixed the problem for now, but need to find some better receptacles with appropriate connections that are suitable for an RV that is going to be bouncing down the road.

Any suggestions?

Retired US Army
Soon to be retired civilian
loliver19 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.