Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Towing advice
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
We started out with a dolly and quickly sold that and moved to flat tow. The cost is greater but in my opinion it is much better. 1.) Either my wife or I can hook it up or unhook it without assistance. I would never try that with a tow dolly. 2.) The towbar is much easier to store than a dolly. 3) The brake can be used in multiple vehicles. We have baseplate on two vehicles.
But, with all that said, it is personal preference and everyone's situation is different. Do what works for you.
I keep shaking my head at this "cost difference". How much does a new tow dolly cost? Northern Tool has one for $1100 but you can spend up to $2500 for one.

I equipped my 2016 Chevy Sonic for flat tow with:
Roadmaster Base Plate -$345
Roadmaster Taillight Wiring Kit - $56
Reese Tow Bar - $82
Curt Safety Cables W/Hooks (2 Sets) - $40
MaxxHaul 5000 Lb Adjustable Drop Hitch - $30

Total Cost - $553

Now this doesn't include a braking system, but neither do the cheap tow dollies. Before we head out over the mountains I'll add the Roadmaster InvisiBrake Supplemental Braking System for $900 which will put the total at $1453.

Also the above prices don't include labor, but that's the advantage to always doing things yourself, not to mention you know the system better and you know the quality of the work done.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.