Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Towing advice
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #21
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I do not believe I disproved the argument. To outfit my Lincoln MKZ for flat towing would cost approx 3000.00 which includes supplemental braking, which by the way, is required in most states. Only 10 states do not specifically require a supplemental braking system and most of those require the ability to stop within a specified distance at a specific speed.

Flat towing is considerably more expensive, especially if you rotate vehicles or buy a new vehicle every few years.
$3000? What's that consist of?
$1000 for the base plate?
$1000 for the tow bar?
$1000 for the brake system?

I just showed you I outfitted my toad for 4 flat with braking system for half that, which was the same price you bought a tow dolly with braking system for; so in that case there was no price advantage either way.
The is a convenience advantage bot ways:
Tow Dolly is convenient because of the flexibility to tow different cars within its weight limits.
Flat Tow is convenient because of the quick connect/disconnect.

Different people put different weights on all the factors when considering how to pull a toad. What one person decides may not be right for what another person decides even if they are looking at the same equipment. Do what you think works best in your estimation after becoming educated on all the pros, cons, and options.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum