Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #5
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I know this is probably TMI, but last year I started using the enzyme stuff. And I was getting some chunks of toilet paper, even though I use the RV paper. It didn't seem to dissolve the tissue very well.

I was having some problems with false tank reading, but I think it was from residual TP getting stuck to the side of the tank.

I have been using this Camco dualflush system, and let the tank fill up with clear water from the bottom, which after the videos show it is may not be all that effective. But I was seeing more TP flush out after rinsing with the device, and after a rinse or two, when no more TP comes out, the tank monitors generally read OK.

When I had a boat, I used the cheap Thetford Aqua-Kem chemical and it seemed to do a better job of dissolving the tissue. On a boat, it is harder to dump the holding tank as it has to suck the contents out... i.e. no gravity assist. Basically you don't dump a boat's holding tank, you pump it out from above.

So I think I am going back to the Aqua-Kem and see if it does a better job at dissolving the tissue.

Also with my boat, the tank level monitor used the capacitive metal strip sensors, which are installed outside of the tank. That system was flawless, and it's too bad RVs don't go to that kind of system rather than the garbage tank monitors they come with.

Here is one of the sensors in my boat (I had extra channels left over for the monitor, so I put a sensor in the toilet's deoderizing tank).

The two aluminum adhesive strips are a capacitive system that produces a linear tank level reading, not the Empty - Half-full - Full system the RV uses. The copper strips are the connections to the sensor module (the little square black thing in the photo).

At any rate, it was a superior system to the RV tanks. I actually had several correspondence letters with the owner and engineer of the company (it's a small company) and encouraged them to design one of their sensors to replace the RV sensors (but use the same display).

That way we could have an accurate sensor on the tank but not have to re-wire the wiring to the display unit. The resolution would not be as good though since their sensors had around 10~15 data points if I recall rather than the three points the RV systems have.

But they never got back to me, so I am not sure if they will make such an adapter or not. I should try and contact them again.

Otherwise, I am thinking that using their sensor with a microcontroller such as an Arduino board (which I have some experience with) could allow using the external sensor and adapt it to be monitored with the RV's OEM monitor so you don't have to replace the monitor or run wires to a panel.

Otherwise, I could probably figure out a way to install one of their units and rebuild the monitor panel, but the wife wants to trade up to a Class A in a couple of years, so I don't want to put a bunch of money into our RV as long as she has that idea.

I am not all together opposed to going Class A, but I like the size of our coach as I can get into just about any campground. Any larger and that would be more challenging.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum